Monday, February 3, 2014

2014 Book Challenges

So, what’s the plan for 2014? Maybe update this blog more than once every twelve months …

Actually, I have set a couple of reading challenges for the year & hope to write up a bit about those as time goes on. The first is the “SFF Explorer” challenge, set by one of the groups I joined on the Goodreads website, the Science Fiction and Heroic Fantasy group, with the goal of reading works by science and fiction and fantasy authors I haven’t read before. I set a goal of 20 new authors for the year. (I thought that would be amibitious, and prompt me to look into sub-genres like military sci-fi that I don’t read as much of, and both of those may yet prove to be the case, but so far this challenge has mainly prompted me to pick up several I’ve-been-meaning-to-get-around to titles off my own shelves and the library shelves. Hmm, with Wesley Chu I’m already up to at least 4.6666 out of 20.)

The second is a poetry challenge, because I can tend to put off reading volumes after I’ve bought them, at least cover-to-cover. They do take time and attention; you need to be in a certain mood, and sometimes they can be a little heavy. But I set myself a 25-in-2013 challengen that cleared out a little of my backlog and turned me on to some interesting new stuff (much of it slam-influenced and published by Write Bloody Publishing). Highlights included Gardening in the Dark by Laura Kasischke and Brass Girl Brouhaha by Adrian Blevins, who turns out to be from Abingdon & a Hollins alumna. Still, 25 felt like a lot, so this year I set the less amibitious but more poetic 14-in-2014 challenge. To make it more of a challenge and to keep up on recent works, I’ve decided to try to read at least one volume of poetry published in each year of the 21st Century –- which means, if I include both 2000 and this year, it’ll actually be 15-in-2014. We’ll see. And that doesn’t mean I won’t throw in a few extras, or some titles from the ol’ 20th C. (A little Richard Wright perhaps? Although I usually only “count” poetry books when I’ve read them cover-to-cover, and sometimes with collections, I just feel like grazing, which might be particularly appropriate for haiku.) Or even earlier. I haven’t read anything toward this challenge yet, but I should be checking off a year or two soon, because Major Jackson is giving a reading at VCU in a few weeks, and I’ve got two recent books of his on my list.

Well, hopefully more to come …

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I like this idea of setting up a reading challenge. Perhaps I will finally finish Proust this year? Or maybe just knock out one more volume. Though that is really just trying to get back recommit to an old challenge. How about all of Redwall? Give them blood and vinegar! Redwalll!!!!!

Hillary said...

Eulaaaallliiiiaaaaaaaaa!