Friday, April 9, 2021

Eagerly Awaiting the Paperback Release

I did my taxes. Yes, a whole six+ days before the original deadline and more than a month before the extended deadline. Anyway, I'm blaming that small burst of effort for my current desire to go cuddle up in bed with a volume of medieval historical fiction. In other words, I don't feel like writing an involved post.

So I thought it could be fun to mention some of the books I've recently wishlisted or that the Great Amazon Algorithm has recommended to me recently. I can't say much because I haven't read them yet.

The Final Revival of Opal & Nev by Dawnie Walton: The Algorithm recommended this one. The description makes it sound kind of like a mash-up of Kiley Reid's Such a Fun Age and Taylor Jenkins Reid's Daisy Jones and the Six. I mean, I want writers to make that hardcover money, but I can't help wishing for paperback initial releases.

Four Lost Cities: A Secret History of the Urban Age by Annalee Newitz. I can't wait to learn more about Catalhoyuk, and while I've
read a few recent articles on Cahokia, I'm looking forward to Newitz's take. (Her novel,
Autonomous, by the way, is a lot of fun and packed with ideas.) The Angkor section should also be illuminating; Pompeii doesn't seem quite so exciting in this company, but it should be interesting to compare the Roman city with other models.


The Murderbot novellas were highly entertaining, so I'm ready to check out the two (so far) sequel novels, Network Effect and Fugitive Telemetry.  Martha Wells hasn't let me down yet.



Karen Tidbeck's short story collection Jagannath was weird and powerful. Her dystopia Amatka was an unsettling page-turner. I know her new novel, The Memory Theater, is sure to be one of a kind, but the description alludes to a fairytale/fantasy realm setting that really heightens my anticipation.

No comments: